Monday, August 8, 2011

40 Days of Worship - Day 8

Focus my heart and eyes on Your treasure…

Scripture: Psalm 119:35-37

It goes without saying that this world is laser focused on getting things. Money and more money, material things that we don’t need, but definitely want, success at almost any cost. And what does it get us in return? What do we get to take with us when it’s all over?

In this passage today we are reminded to focus our walk, eyes and heart on those things that are important to God. Verse 37 goes against mainstream anything when it calls out, “Turn my eyes away from worthless things…”

I made the mistake once of asking my kids (when they were younger) what was important to daddy. Austin didn’t skip a beat – “Target (my job).” My family didn’t even make the first place on the list, nor did God at that moment in my life. That, my friends, is a classic wake-up call.

Take stock today of what you ‘treasure’ in your life. Where does God fit in? How about family, friends, or even church? List what you believe to be your top 3 most important things to you, your treasures. Once you’re done with that, ask your spouse, kids, significant other – someone you can trust – to do the same thing for you. Compare notes.

Prayer: Father, help us all to get our heart and eyes focused on what truly matters. It’s so easy to slip into the world’s ideas of priorities. But today, we are ready to stand against the world’s calling and put you first. Show each of us clearly where we’ve gone off course, and help us to get back on track.

No comments: