Wednesday, August 17, 2011

40 Days of Worship - Day 17

God expects us to live a certain way…part 2

Scripture: Psalm 119:9-12

As musicians we are always looking for something different, something new to add to our repertoire of skills and abilities. Why? Is it so we can be really cool in what we know? Is it to impress others so they’ll view us differently?

No…we do it so we can be stretched and discover all that we CAN do. Mediocrity is not a place anyone should want to reside in for long. There will be moments in life where we are temporary residents of mediocrity. But that should fuel us to want to move out quickly. The problem with mediocrity is it gets comfortable after a while, and then we become complacent. We don’t have a desire to move from where we are to where we really CAN be.

I also say this with a bit of caution, especially as musicians. We have larger egos than most people and Satan would love for us to let those critters out and run free. No thank you! The core of our move is our motivation. Further than that it is the WHO of our motivation. Who are we doing this for? Who are we striving to be better for? Who will get the recognition for our ‘success’ in the end?

In this passage today I am reminded that, by living according to the Word of the Living God, my way CAN be kept pure. I don’t have to worry about what the world will think or say about me. I don’t have to worry what the world will want to do to me. I have hidden His Word in my heart so I will know how to stand and fight against all it has to offer. My ego won’t get a chance to raise it’s ugly little head. My motivation to be better at what I do is for the King of Kings and His purpose for my life. He expects me to live a certain way to be that man – and I gladly accept the call.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength. THAT’S how He wants you to live.

Where are you ‘weakest’ in your walk today? Where did you wander off the path? What will you need to do to get back on? Commit to God today to return to the ways that He has prescribed for you in His Word. Don’t bite off a big chunk, more than you can handle. Remember this phrase: how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Bon appetite!

No comments: