Monday, August 15, 2011

40 Days Of Worship - Day 15

Come quickly to me…


Scripture: Psalm 141:1-2


When a child gets hurt, the natural tendency is to run to mom/dad with arms outstretched, crying for them to make it all better.


It’s the same image, to a degree, with God. We hit a snag in life…we get hurt in life…we fail in life, and all we want is someone to scoop us up in their arms, kiss the boo-boo and make it all better.


In this passage, King David starts out with this tone – “I have a boo-boo, fix it.” But he moves quickly from the injured child to a worshiper of the most Holy God.


He recognizes that, as he comes to God with his request that he must acknowledge who God is. God deserves our praise. God requires our obedience and sacrifice (of our lives).


There is a picture of complete surrender in the raising of hands in worship. If you look closely at how it’s done, you see complete surrender and submission to God.


Arms extended toward heaven…hands open, palms up…sometimes fingers extended far and wide, as if to receive as much as possible. Not only is it an act of submission and surrender, but also an act of crying out for more of God in one’s life.


Picture a toddler wanting more of something. They extend their little arms and then open and close their hands, as if to say “Give me more, please!”



Lord, come quickly to me. Hear my plea. Let my prayer be not only a request for Your help, but may my prayer be pleasing to you. May my prayer be received as worship and adoration of you!

No comments: