Monday, September 29, 2008

Will You Be Radical?

Okay, so I've been reading this book, "Holy Fools" and I told you I would update you on what God is saying to me. Let me warn you now: YOU WILL NOT LIKE THIS! If you don't want to hear it, stop reading and have a nice day. If, however, you want to hear something that will rock your world and cause you to look at others in a way you never have before, read on!

We have been called to a radical lifestyle - period. We were NEVER called to a safe, cozy, country club style of Christianity. For the part I've taken in the past in promoting that lifestyle, I am sorry. I don't want to ever do that again. That means that our time on Sunday really has to be about those who are searching for God, and less about you.
  • This radical lifestyle calls us to love the unlovely: the dirty, the sick, the lonely, the depressed and all the 'others' that Jesus refers to over and over in Scripture. Matthew Woodley, author of "Holy Fools" calls it radical acceptance. Are you willing to have a church full of people who don't look like us? Are you willing to have a church full of people with tattoos, piercings, weird hair and maybe even some with pretty bad body odor? They're out there in our community, will we let them in?
  • Radical lifestyle also means that we will pursue others for Christ. Jesus' style of ministry was just that, pursuing the lost. He WENT to where the sinners were (Matthew, Zaccheus for example). He didn't make them come to church. He WAS the church. Who are you willing to pursue for Christ? Right now I've got 2 people in my life that I MUST pursue, and I know that number will increase. Who do you need to reestablish your pursuit with?
  • Radical hospitality is the third radical step Woodley calls us to. When you invite people over for dinner, who do you normally invite? Friends, family, people you know and are comfortable with. Who did Jesus invite? Tax collectors, 'sinners' of the day. NOT his companions. What will it take for us to do this both in our homes and as a church? We've talked on and off about serving a meal at/around Thanksgiving. But that's all we ever do is talk. Let me be frank with you - if all you are going to do is talk and not serve, keep it to yourself. We don't need talkers - we need DO-ERS. It's the proverbially 'put up or shut up' moment, isn't it?!
First Baptist (Pocatello), I love you with all I am. You have blessed me and my family. You have blessed God by giving of yourselves in our worship time as a family and that puts a smile on my face (and His too!). But I want more. I want us ALL to experience a revival the likes that no church in Pocatello has ever seen. I want each of us to be WRECKED by God to the point that we let go of our comfortable church lifestyle and radically pursue the people in our lives who don't know Jesus - NO MATTER WHAT THE COST! Friends, family, success, prosperity - what's it all worth on an eternal scale? Nada. Nothing. Zilch. 0. But our friends, family and neighbors in heaven with us - WOW!
Rick Warren puts it the best way I've heard, "Who will be in heaven because of you?"

Join me in becoming a radical. Accept them as they are, pursue them for Christ, and welcome them into our homes - all so they can come to know our Father.

We have a great opportunity right now for you to invite people to pursue God and His Word. We are just 6 days away from "I Saw The Lord", the church-wide Bible study campaign that we will all go through together. This is a great introduction for a person who is searching/seeking to learn how to dig into the Bible and find what God has for them. Invite them to your connection group and invite them to come with you to church (preferably at the 9 am service). The books are only $8.00. If that's a problem, just let me know and we'll make sure they get one, I promise!

I'm looking forward to what God is going to in my life and in yours!

See ya in church...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Me next!!!! ME, ME, ME, ME!!!!! I want to be wrecked, disturbed, and have my butt kicked!! By the way, I was serious about wanting to read this book.
Have a wrecked day! :-)