Thursday, September 25, 2008

Creativity and THE LORD!

We are about to undergo an incredible Bible study campaign at First Baptist - and I need your help!

Beginning October 5th, our entire church - connection groups, youth group and the worship services - will all be participating in the Anne Graham Lotz study, "I Saw The Lord". This will take all involved through the same Bible study of 7 different characters in scripture. It will involve group study (with DVD), individual study on your own (participants guide $8.00), and a 'wrap up' on Sunday from Pastor Bill on the passage you studied during the week. This will begin with the first Sunday (Oct. 5th) with Pastor Bill teaching on the method that Anne Graham Lotz uses for studying the Bible, and will be used for the remainder of the 7 weeks. This will be a different study 'technique' than most of us have done, but please indulge us for this time. It is effective and really helps to draw out some great insights from God's Word!

Here's what I would like from you:
  • Pray. I know, duh! Seriously, take time to pray for this study to impact YOUR life in a very special way. Pray that God would draw you closer to Him.
  • Listen. What is God telling you during this time? Write it down and share it with others. And listen to what God is telling those in your group and others around you. Again, write it down and share WHAT YOU CAN with others.
  • DO something with what HE tells you. "Do not merely listen to the word. DO what it says." James 1:22

There are a couple of reasons for me wanting to know what God is up to. First, I am hoping to capture some of what God does here and put it into words we can give back to Him in praise. New songs for a new time in our life. We can also capture this in various other art mediums. A visual 'praise' is just as impactful as a spoken or sung praise. Second, the folks at Angel Ministries (Anne Graham Lotzs' group) are EXTREMELY interested in hearing how God speaks to and challenges people. They would love to hear some of our stories. What an honor!

What will this do for our church? For one thing it gets us into God's Word regularly, both as individuals and as a church. Satan's gonna love that, huh? It also introduces those that don't have a relationship with Chris to a way to explore and study His Word. For some it will help to affirm their belief and faith in God. Did I mention that Satan is really gonna love this? So be prepared for him to be stupid and show up in really stupid ways. (Go ahead, tell him where he can go. I'm sure he knows the way.)

I cannot tell you how JACKED I am for this to get under way! Right now I have over a half dozen boxes of I Saw The Lord material in my living room (had it sent to the wrong address!). But it is kind of a rush in a weird sort of way...the anticipation, the excitement. It's like Christmas Eve when I was 12! I believe that God is going to wreck our worlds over these next several weeks and make Himself very evident to many of us. I look forward to hearing about your wrecks in the weeks to come. You can post stuff here if you like, or you can email me at karl@fbcpoky.com

See ya in church...

No comments: