Thursday, September 11, 2008

Voice Coaches

I wanted to post a video that had some good instruction for Praise/Worship Team vocalists'. I'm still waiting for 'permission' from the one I want to use, so hang in there. I know a lot of people may get frustrated that we don't just use 'whoever' seems to be good. Here's what I deal with in trying to find quality, healthy/safe, relevant-for-our-ministry material:
  • Vocal 'coaches' are a dime a dozen, especially in the secular market. While they exist in the Christian market, there just aren't that many that are good.
  • In the Christian arena, most of what we get is how to sing with the 'choral' sound as opposed to how to lead with strength, power and clarity with the true natural voice.
  • I look for instruction, not just from the Christian market, that will help our vocalists to have healthy habits as well as good practice technique.
  • Our end goal with Praise Team is to be able to communicate Gods story through music. That needs to be clear, in tune, in harmony, and compelling to the point that you can't help but join in and sing along.
  • Too many churches 'settle' for just Christian produced material. Sorry to say that some of it really sucks pond water! Poor technique, even to the point of dangerous on one I saw, poor quality, and so on. I don't know how that honors God!
Before we get all crazy, I'm not saying that singing with choral technique is bad. I majored in music (I.S.U.) and was in a choir or two myself. I even took voice lessons while there to hone my 'craft' and my skill. But answer me this: how many songs do you listen to in a given week that FEATURE choirs over group vocals? Not too many choir stations on the radio these days. So why do we focus so much on that when we're trying to reach a culture that doesn't even give a rip?

Okay, I'm off my high horse for now.
If you're in a church where you've found some stuff from folks such as Tim Carson (Vocal Artistry) and Steve Bowersox, you have found the resources that I think are proving to be of great value to the local church. If you've got someone you've found that's helped you and/or your team, please share it. I believe one of the 'habits' that churches have fallen out of is sharing resources, ideas, and information with other churches. I want to give away as much as I can when I learn something or find something that works. If it helps grow the Kingdom, then why not?

See ya in church!

No comments: