Wednesday, April 29, 2009

When I'm Gone...

In ministry, we do more funerals than most people will do in their lifetime. It comes with the job and it's something I take very seriously.

At each funeral, whether for the saved or unsaved, I listen to people speak of the impact that the person had on their life. And it sometimes is echoed in more than one persons comments.
But I attended a funeral of someone who was, I think, a believer. The highlight of the memories and stories revolved around her card playing ability and her lingerie shopping sprees (hey, I can't make this stuff up!)
And I sat there thinking, "Really...is this the summation of this woman's life? Cards and bras? Is there nothing more to that in her life?" It crushed me - and made me think:

What will they say about me when I'm gone?

What will my legacy be for my son, for my daughter? What will my brothers remember about me (and be willing to share!)? How will others know that my life made an impact for the Kingdom? Will they know how much I loved Jesus? Will there be fruit?

I've been hit with this reality lately:
Live each day as if it were my last!

Who in my life needs to hear about Jesus? Who in my life needs to surrender their life, career, family, bank accounts - everything to Jesus? Am I telling them or am I just blogging about it?
If we have the truth - and we do - then we have a responsibility to share it. We are NOT promised tomorrow, so are we taking the opportunity to live like it for Jesus?
I'm working on it in my life, and some days it's just ridiculously hard! Other days, WOW! I see Jesus moving and directing around and in my life.

So, if you were gone tomorrow, what would they say about you? Will your life confidently point people to Jesus - or not?

Just thoughts at 11 clock on a Wednesday night...

1 comment:

Bill McCready said...

Nicely done. I remember that funeral... :) I think we need to be reminded that eternity is a long time, and all we can do to make a difference while we're here is what will last.

Can't wait to hear what happens this weekend!!