Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lessons From the Geese

It's good to be home!

I've been away at a worship leaders summit in St. Louis this week and did not have access to my stuff online. Thanks to a stupid computer problem, I wasn't able to email or to blog and it just about killed me!

On the other hand, it was also good to not have the distraction and go quiet for a while so that I could hear what God had for me!

The place we were at, Sojourn Christian Retreat, was in a nice setting and was very comfortable in every aspect. In the middle of the complex they have this serene, gentle lake with a few geese.

As I sat outside my room one morning, I watched these two adult geese 'herd' their 7 little munchkins around. You could see they weren't very old and just trying to figure out this new, giant and fascinating world.
I watched one little guy begin to venture out further and further from mom and dad. Curious, confident, daring, eager, wondering what might be out there that he hasn't explored just yet.
Just as he gets a little too far, he looks back to see that mom and dad didn't go with him - he's alone (sort of). As soon as he realizes this, he runs hard back to the safety of the family - safe, secure and loving.

As I sat there and watched this unfold, I realized that I am that little gosling. I get so far out in front sometimes with curiosity, eagerness, wonder and confidence that I forget to check in with Dad. I 'get it' sometimes and think I need to be ahead of what God is doing. Sometimes so much that He gets left out of the mix completely. And then I realize it and come running back to Him, usually crawling back to Him in shame and embarrassment for what I've done.

I know that God is ALWAYS with me. I know that God is ALWAYS leading me. I just need to remember that He is leading me, not the other way around.
  • Need to stay true to who He called me to be.
  • Need to stay true to what He called me to do.
  • Need to stay true to the ministry He has blessed me with.
  • Need to stay true to the leader under who He has placed me.
I need to stay in His presence - always. And I need to be always running hard after Him!

See ya in church...by the way - hang onto your shorts for this Sunday. God's up to something BIG and AWESOME!

No comments: