Monday, November 17, 2008

Refreshed Vision, Renewed Calling!

Back from Seattle and the Christian Musician Summit. Had a great time of connecting with God's vision for ministry, as well as learning some new stuff.
Have to give a big shout out and thank you to Mark Nelson and the team for leading out on Sunday. Heard it was a great time, despite the evil technology demons in the system. I have confidence in Mark to lead, or else I wouldn't have had him in that spot to do so (DUH!). I appreciate his heart and willingness to get out of God's way (which is big for us musicians) and lead God's way. It was just what we needed! Thanks again, Mark.

As for the summit:
  • Brian Doerksen reminded us that our calling is NOT to awaken worship. It's to redirect our worship onto the character of God; to model His character.
  • We were reminded that we need to be pleasing the Audience of One. If people come on Sunday and don't 'get something out of worship', good. It wasn't for them!
  • I don't want people to get the idea its really all for them, because it's not. It is about us giving our hearts in worship and service to Him - period.
  • Heard a lot about the need for personal practice time, separate from our weekly rehearsal time. Musicians should be spending time personally learning their parts, understanding transitions, knowing key changes and where to come in or sit out - all the stuff we've been expecting! But now that someone else said it, I hope it really sinks in.
  • As a musician, how are you using the 'talent' that God gave you? Look up the parable from Matthew 25:14-30. Look at it from the standpoint of the gifts/talents that God has given you. How are you using yours? Are you investing or hoarding?
  • Picked up a few pointers on keyboard. Some simple ways to transition songs in different keys using the same tag line in both keys. Will be sharing this with our keyboardists' this week. Got to share the wealth! (Matthew 25 Parable!)
  • Was also able to speak with some key people about new building design and steps to take to make that process less painful, more efficient.
The other BIG thing that I really walked away with was the need to give more of what we learn away to other churches. Many of us in the ministry know how hard it is to take people to these kinds of events. It costs a lot of money, requires time away from real jobs, and doesn't guarantee that what we learn will ever be implemented when we get back to our churches.

One of the foundations of my ministry has always been to give away what we learn. We need to develop a platform on our end to be able to do just that with these resources.

So here's what I'm going to ask of you, especially those of you in the Northwest (Idaho, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon):
  • If we could bring in some of today's leaders in our fields - worship leaders, vocal coaches, guitar and bass players, drummers, sound techs, etc. - would you be interested in coming to an event in Pocatello or Twin Falls?
  • If we could bring such an event, what would be a 'doable' cost for you? At the LEAST, it would cost $100 and at the high end $199. Pick a point and let me know.
  • Who would you bring? It can't be just you - that's not fair to you or your team. How many would you like to bring? (YES, there would be a group discount)
Please email me at karl@fbcpoky.com with your feedback, or post it to this blog. I know that I am being called to be this resource, for whatever reason, here in the Northwest. Pray for me and my team as we put some of these things together. I can tell you that we are already working with some 'key people' to do an event in May. You'll hear about it here when we get some details nailed down!

I'm EXCITED for what God is doing in my life and in the life of those around me. I'm grateful for those who got to go with me to Seattle, and what that will do in their own personal lives as well as the lives of the others on the team. And I can't wait to see what our God does with us here in the Gate City over these next few months. God Is Good!

See ya in church...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So, I'm commenting. I hope you brought home some info on multi media also. And, not sure if they had any stuff, but any info on Drama in worship would be neat to see too.

Teresa said...

Thanks for taking me along to CMS. I hope I can apply the things that I keep waking up and thinking about in the night and put it to good use in praise of the audience of one! It was a great weekend!

Karl said...

I have to echo that...it was a good weekend, and I'm glad that we got to take some extra folk along. I can go and learn all I want, but for you all to see it up close and personal brings a new level of commitment to the game. Thanks for being there!