Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Building A Worship Team - part 1

I don't hesitate to brag about the people I have the privilege to serve with at FBC, Pocatello. We have been blessed with some very talented, gifted musicians. For example, if I want to change a song or do a small piece just a little different, no problem. We walk through it, get the changes, do a little practice and off we go. It's like we've worked it all along that particular way and it either rocks or brings us to the moment we were looking for. We did a little of that tonight in rehearsal and it was cool. WAY COOL!

But it goes way beyond just skill and giftedness. I am blessed to be surrounded by artists who love God first and foremost, and who desire to put Him first in their lives as well as their ministry. This group of people struggle like everyone else. They deal with sin, relationship issues, joy and sorrow and all the other things that life throws our way. But they know that they have been blessed with the ability to share God's truths and His Word through song. They get that this is the place God has called them to, and they strive to please Him. And it gives me GREAT JOY to serve them!

How did we get to this place? How did we find such great, talented and focused people? Simple - they just fell out of the sky! (Sorry, too easy to let that one just sit there!)

Here's a couple of key steps that I think God wants ALL of us who lead worship teams to weave into our ministry:

  1. Have a clear vision for what you want to accomplish, both in the worship service itself, and the ministry beyond the walls. DUH! But really, do you have a clear vision beyond this weekends service or the next series? If you do, great. What are you doing to take the ministry beyond the walls to the streets? What does your community need? You have to have a vision that includes your community or else you will stay inward focused.

  2. Have a clear, Biblical understanding of what worship is. How does that fit with the vision and ministry of your church? If it's out of alignment, sit down with your Senior Pastor and understand what his/her vision for worship is. Your job, lead worshipper, is to make that vision a reality. If you can't, leave your position so the church can find someone who can. Read Become A True Worshiper, Tom Kraueter.
  3. Know who the REAL Worship Leader is. (By the way, lead worshipper, it's not you!) Your Senior Pastor is the Worship Leader for the church. You just get the honor of leading that portion of worship with music. Do so in such a way that honors God and supports your Senior Pastor!
  4. Senior Pastor and Lead Worshipper - spend time together getting to know each other. If you can't build a relationship with your leader, how can you hold your team accountable to relationship building? This is the NUMBER ONE problem in staff relationships still today and it pisses me off! I am sick and tired of Satan getting between the two most visible leaders in a church and causing the crap he causes. Listen, Senior Pastors and Lead Worshippers - you're not in junior high any more! Be a man/woman and own your junk and find a way to work together for the good of the Kingdom! Your church needs you; your community needs you; and I believe the local church needs you to be a good example of how to work together! So - DO IT!

Notice I haven't even mentioned the key players yet - the Worship Team. That's because without the foundation that I'm talking about, it doesn't matter what you do next, it will not work. It will not be successful because God is not honored, God is not central in the relationship - simply put, God is not in the details because your stupid ego is on the throne!

So, I'll continue this rant tomorrow after I've calmed down. In the meantime, as a Lead Worshipper, ask yourself the following:

  • Do I have a clear vision for the worship ministry? Both inside and outside the building?

  • Do I have a clear understanding of what Biblical worship is? How does it align with the understanding of my Senior Pastor?

  • How is my relationship with my Senior Pastor? Am I open, honest and real? Do I allow him/her to hold me accountable? Do I see him/her as the Worship Leader? What will it take for me to get to that point?

  • Where is my ego in all of this? Who will help keep the ego in check?

I am blessed to be serving with Pastor Bill McCready. He and I have spent countless hours together, as well as with our families. Building this relationship has been and will continue to be the most important relationship I work on in the church next to God. He makes it easy, 'cause he's a wierd dude like me. Pray for him, though, cause he's a big Seahawks fan.

Do we always agree? No. Do we always see eye to eye? (Did I mention he's a Seahawks fan?) What we DO is work things out, talk through them, get to the heart of things. And in the end, he's my Senior Pastor. When we walk out of the office I am 1000% behind him and the diretion God is leading - cause he's the Worship Leader. Get it?

I'll be praying for you...


No comments: