Thursday, November 6, 2008

Quality Time

Sue and I have traveled north to Post Falls, Idaho for a meeting. It's actually a meeting that Sue gets to attend, but I took the opportunity to get away for some personal time and work on my sermon. But the main reason I came along was to spend some quality time with my wife. And here's how our day went up to this posting:
  • Spent most of the morning in some form of transit - car, train, elevator...
  • Spent the rest of the afternoon SHOPPING! Love it!
  • Got to check out the hot new store in Coure d'Lene - Brody Mack! Spent too much money, but OOHH! was it worth it!
  • Fellas - you've got to check out what Katie has at brodymack.com!

Did I mention, I got to spend some quality time with my wife?

Not that we don't love our kids - we are crazy about them! But if Sue and I don't take time regularly to get away by ourselves and 'reconnect' to some degree, our relationship will suffer. We need each other in order to be complete. I'm man enough to admit that, without Sue, I'm not much on my own. (I think she would say the same thing about me, only she wouldn't call herself a man!). Not because we're weak, but because we are incomplete without each other. It is an amazing thing to have someone in your life that you just can't live without!

That's really how it should be with us and God. We should have such a relationship with Him that we couldn't imagine a day without connecting with Him. We would feel empty, incomplete, even alone.

But look at what we do with Him. He gets whatever time we have left in the day - the scraps. He gets the pain and the anger in our lives, seldom the joy and praise. He is treated as an afterthought at times. How would your best friend feel if that's how they were treated? How would YOU feel if it was you? Folks, this is not the kind of relationship that God had in mind when He sent His Son to the cross for our sins.

His desire is that we pursue Him much like He pursues us. We start each day WITH Him. We continue through the day WITH Him. We end our day WITH Him. Talking to Him, laughing with Him, thanking Him, praising Him and yes, letting Him know our hurts and needs. But we have to GIVE Him something more in return. And yes, it will cost us all. He wants our lives - all of it. No holding back, no excuses, no bargaining. ALL to Him. The Bible says to love the Lord your God with ALL your heart, mind, soul and strength. As I read it, nothing is left out.

So let me challenge you - this week - get away with Him for just a little while. Spend some time in prayer, away from all the noise and just listen for Him. Get to know God again, like you did when you first met him. Trust me - you're going to love it, and you're going to love Him more!

I'll be praying for ya...

No comments: