Saturday, May 9, 2009

Technology Fast

Over the past couple of days I've taken time away from technology to pray, seek God and process some very helpful feedback that I've received via email and the blog.

Let me say that I will never accept this form of medium as ever solving issues that people have with each other. Face to face is my first and preferred method of conflict resolution.

That being said, I appreciate the dialogue that is taking place, even if it is under these circumstances. I need to get better at communicating my heart and passion in a way that honors God, the body and the people we are trying to reach. And I am glad to have people who care enough to say something when I step 'over the line'.
I had the privilege of sitting with a couple last week to talk - face to face - about my words and the direction they feel that we, FBC, are going in. It was good, honest and challenging discussion that helped me to see some things from a different perspective. AND, I was able to understand the tone, the meaning of the words, and ask for clarification when I needed to. (Can't really do that on a blog or email.)
I also took the opportunity to apologize for my choice of words and how it offended them. I have and will continue to do that. [I won't apologize for the passion - that would be saying that God made a mistake in how He wired me.]

As for deleting the post, there was a part that was targeted at the leadership of FBC, not just me. This blog is not for/about the leadership. I didn't feel it appropriate to have an open debate here about that. As for the place/venue, I'm working on that with the leadership so that you will have someplace to make your voice known.

(I am confused that some people say that we don't listen and that the only way to hear the voice is to make an appointment. If you have an issue or concern with your health you go to the doctor. If your child has a problem at school, you go see the teacher or administrator. That is the best way to handle whatever it is you're up against. Why should church be any different?) So, we're going to try to figure out just how to help our FBC people do that.

Trying to follow Him!
Karl

1 comment:

Sharon Bennett said...

Karl, Harley & I appreciated sitting down and sharing our concerns with you about FBC and the direction we see the leadership taking it. Your attitude regarding our comments and our heart for the people of Pocatello was most welcomed. Thank you for that and your apology. As I have been looking at FBC's website, I googled UnChristian by David Kinnaman (a book on your reading list). It subsequently led me to the following which I would ask you and the leadership to please listen to. Just google "Todd Friel examines the book UnChristian". I think it says what Harley and I were trying to say but in a little different way. I pray this will be helpful to show our level of concern about following Jesus as well as helping others follow Him as His Word teaches us to do. Because we care, Harley & Sharon Bennett (the Popcorn people)