Thursday, May 14, 2009

Always Learning

We all make mistakes. Sometimes, there are those that are not seen, and it's between us and God. Other times the family sees/hears it and it's just between us and them.

And then there are times when our mistakes make it into the public eye. For some, the public eye is work, the classroom, etc. For others - like me - mistakes are very public because I sometimes have an open mic!

I've learned over my life that you have to own up to what you do and say, especially when it hurts or offends someone else. That's not always easy - but I believe it's always right.

I've had to own up and apologize here lately, not only to the congregation but also to individuals. In every situation, and I mean EVERY situation, I've been blessed with learning something in those encounters. Whether it's something about me or the person I'm speaking with, I truly consider that to be a blessing.

If we all looked at confronting others about mistakes or offenses that have impacted others as a blessing, I wonder how much more we could learn about them and about our amazing God. I know, for many people it is extremely uncomfortable and even scary to sit down with someone and have that conversation. I know that God gave me the strength and courage to do it when I was that way, and now today I actually look forward to having these conversations. (I know...I'm not really right in the head!)

God has shown me how to learn in all of these situations. And it's the same thing with my family. When I have to have the tough conversations with Sue or our adult kids, I learn something! (It's usually that I'm wrong and Sue was right.)

Someone emailed me last week and hit this on the head. They were saying that they didn't want to continue talking about an issue around me or behind my back as that would be divisive and/or gossip. That doesn't help anyone. I appreciate that. It sums up what we all should be doing. Going and dealing - no matter the outcome. We just need to go, be heard and let God do what He will do with our conversation.

Oh yeah, and we might learn something along the way!

No comments: