Monday, August 31, 2009

In the Quiet - Selah

I've been doing some intense reading and study on worship recently. Looking at the old and new of worship and the different 'ways' that we have classified worship over the course of history.

As I was reading Worship Old and New by Robert Webber, I was reminded of something about our worship that I have allowed to let slip away. It wasn't intentional by any means, but I am guilty of it nonetheless.

It's the selah of worship - the silence of worship. There has been much debate about this word since we could read. Does it mean silence? Does it mean make a loud, joyful noise? Does it mean something else? In the footnotes of the NIV you'll find the statement that the meaning is unknown, possibly a musical term.

I subscribe to the idea that it means to take a moment to be still, to be silent, to reflect.

As I put this in the context of worship, both corporate and private, I see where I've gotten away from allowing the times of silence to be truly silent. I fill my study/quiet time with music. I fill the prayer time in our worship service with a nice pad or guitar background to 'set the mood' for reflection.

And then it hit me - the voices of people in churches, past and present, who have said, "I can't focus when I hear music playing while I'm praying!" (I ask for feedback and then I forget it?!)

It's not the same for everybody, I get that. But, as the lead worshipper, my job in the service is to build in time for people to be able to reflect, confess, surrender and hear from God. I don't have the option of doing anything less!

If you're a lead worshipper in your church, I challenge you to look at your order of service and see where you can build time in, where you can allow folks to be uncomfortable in the presence of a mighty God, so they can get right with Him.

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for recognizing this Karl. I love your playing, but when you play a song I know during prayer time, I end up singing along in my head...if I don't know it, I still find it distracting because I will be listening to the music and not letting God speak to me.

Susan