Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Core of Worship

Tricky subject - worship.
We get so confused as to what it is, what it should be, how it should be done, what makes it up...
We write books, go to conferences and seminars, listen to others speak on it...

But how often do we go to the source of worship? How often do we go to the Word of God for direction, insight, guidance? I'm a worship leader and I don't feel I do it enough...can't imagine what the 'average' church goer/Christian might feel like.

I've been doing a lot of study of late on this subject, some because of an upcoming workshop I'm teaching on, but mostly because I have a real desire to do worship from the right place, with the right motives and bring as many people along with me as I can. I know I'm not going to be able to meet EVERY need. That would be foolish to think I could.

I want people who worship with us to wrestle with what God has to say about the subject - not what I have to say. I share what God has written and let the words resonate in our heads and in our hearts - then out of that I hope we can worship.

Over the next couple of weeks in our worship time, we're going to reflect on some things about worship that we, the church, have seem to gotten away from lately. Things that should help us get back to the 'core' of our worship. It's not about the music, the preaching or the other elements IN the worship that concern me. It's always been what we bring TO the worship - so we're going to 'unpack' some of this during the Beautiful series.

Hold onto something cause' it's gonna get bumpy!

See ya in church...

No comments: