Tuesday, January 27, 2009

When Life Throws Curve Balls...

It has happened in the past, it has happened in the present and it will happen in the future - life will throw us curve balls. Unexpected events, problems and situations - even death - take us by surprise and literally floor us. So what are we supposed to do when it happens?
To quote a great movie, Extreme Days, when life throws you a curve ball - don't duck!

Monday, January 26th, the family of First Baptist lost one of our dear friends to a long bout with cancer. (For the record - I hate cancer with every ounce of my being.) ReNee Perry will always be a part of this family and she will be greatly missed. She was a part of our Worship Choir several times, and I always enjoyed watching her give her gift and her heart to God through her music. She was also one of those people I looked for in the congregation to see how she was expressing herself in worship. It was always a pleasure to find her and see the joy on her face, even during the fiercest parts of her battle. She loved God and it was evident.

We are going to mourn her loss, and we are going to be sad because she is no longer with us. We are going to wonder how Lance and the kids are going to get along and be sad for them. That's a normal human response.

But there is a danger here that I want to, in the deepest sense of love, caution us about. We can get so sad and discouraged that we miss an opportunity to see God in this and see where and how God wants to use us beyond this moment. We are in danger of ducking when we should be standing in the box, ready to take a swing. Even in death God can and should be glorified. Don't forget, ReNee is standing in the presence of an incredible God, the same God she worshiped with all of her heart, mind, soul and strength. If anything, we should be jealous! No pain, no fear, no worry - a new life and body! Seriously, who wouldn't want that?

Look for those moments when God taps you in your heart and says, "This is one of those opportunities that I have designed for you. If I have been anything in your life, share it now in the midst of the hard times. Your story can bring hope, comfort, peace, courage and more."

It's funny how God is already working and moving in people's lives. Not just here in the church family, but in School District #25 and beyond. God is amazing! God is moving! He is getting the attention of some folks like never before...He is gathering an ARMY of people who want to step up and serve Lance, the kids and the body of Christ...He is moving!

I will miss my friend ReNee. I will mourn, but not be lost in my sorrow. I will be sad, but not controlled by the emotion. I am a believer who is jealous of where my friend is and can't wait to see her. In the meantime, if I'm not busy doing my Father's work, not only will He be sad, but ReNee will come back and kick my butt!

We love you, ReNee. See you when we come home!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with your comment that if we don't see the good in ReNee's passing, and rejoice in her homecoming, she will tell us to get over it and move on! In fact, I can just hear her later today. "Don't cry guys! Remember all of the fun stuff. Laughter, I want to hear laughter!" I for one plan on laughing today.