Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Aiding the Church in Asia - good or bad?

I've been getting some interesting feedback about my helping the church in Asia with learning more about worship - what it is, why it's so important for the church to understand it, how to develop personal skills to better present it and more in the context of that culture. I find it curious, frustrating, encouraging all at the same time.
This group I am working with , who shall remain nameless and non-specific about location, has had some exposure to different musical styles from not only the western world, but their own environment and culture as well. What they are asking is for ways to improve their skill, their passion/drive toward worship. What they are NOT asking for is our music. Period. They have their own music...they have their style...they have their target congregation and understand what they want to worship to. Have I mentioned we're NOT giving them OUR music?

And yet, the debate has begun about whether we should or should not help churches in other countries with regards to worship music. Does us working in another country somehow 'poorly' influence the worship in other places? Can we do more harm than good? Understand me on this - I prefer to encourage any culture to use their indigenous music, instruments, structure, etc. to enhance their own worship experience. I would never impose MY style, MY likes, MY preferences on another culture. To me that's just stupid and selfish.

What is it that God is instructing me/us to share? What is it that THEY specifically are asking for? What can we do to assist THAT request?

And so I have begun the journey of translating some training/teaching tools into another language, looking for other resources to assist them in music skills such as chord charts, keyboard charts, instructions on skill, etc. 
Countless hours have been spent in conversation with the leaders ON THE GROUND, trying to fully understand the what, why and how of this request. I've been very aggressive in asking key questions, posing different scenarios, asking questions in different ways to make sure there is clarity and understanding. This is not something any of my team or the team in country is taking lightly. I believe we fully understand the impact this can have - from both the good and the bad. 

I am curious what some of those who follow this blog think about this endeavor...I won't share my philosophy on this just yet, as I'd really like to hear your take on this kind of ministry. 

Share your thoughts here...

No comments: