Friday, March 13, 2009

Some Days Are Just Harder...

Today was one of those tough days we all have. The only difference on this one is I actually planned for one very tough spot in my day. The rest of the day really was pretty good.

But this afternoon, I had to do one of the most difficult things that any dog owner/lover will ever have to do. I had to say goodbye to our dog, Mindy, of 19 years. She was a black lab mix that thought she was a puppy until the very end. She had started to deteriorate more than a year ago, but she kept coming back with energy and strength. (We have two golden retrievers that are total dorks and full of energy - they helped keep her young.) And we kept saying, "Okay, maybe it's just her adjusting to something and she'll get stronger and be okay." Actually, it was me not wanting to let go.

I consider myself to be a man's man...but when I walked out of the room I cried like a baby. A part of our family is gone. I know that I'll be looking for her again this weekend until it finally settles in that she's not here. That will suck every time!

I know that one day I'll be able to say that it was the right thing to do at the right time. I have to face the fact that her quality of life wasn't what I would want for her. Her future didn't look bright either, knowing that each day was getting harder and harder. But it still sucks.

I made the comment to my wife that it's a good thing we don't treat our human families this way. I can just see Austin and Kia coming home one day and hearing, "Well, dad's pooped and peed on himself again, and his legs don't work. Better put him down!" (Don't judge me...I'm processing!)

I wonder...how many hard days does God have? How many tough choices does He have to make every day? How often does He weep over us and our choices? We don't do the things that He has planned for us, and we complain that it's just too hard. All the while He's thinking, "Trust me, I've got this. I know you're hurting, and I know your pain. Just trust me!"

I guess we don't always believe Philippians 4:13 when it says we can do ALL things... Just because I'm having a hard day doesn't mean I'm going to stop serving my King. And I'm not going to blame Him either. He doesn't give up on me, so there is NO WAY I'm going to give up on Him!

I'm not going to let myself be drawn into the depths of despair and away from the grace of God. My hope is you won't either. Stay close to the King!

See ya in church...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I loved Mindy too. She lived a very full life, and for years it was day to day with her. Having lost pets over the years, I feel your grief, and I hugged my dog a little harder today.