Monday, October 27, 2008

About Yesterday...

I love my job!

In case anyone hasn't noticed that yet in coming to FBC, Pocatello, I really do love what I do. And it's not really a job to me. That's what I had at Target. Get up, go in, do my job, get paid, go home. Here, I (usually) can't wait for Monday and for what I get to see God do everyday of the week. Some days are bigger than others. But hear me on this - EVERY DAY God does an amazing work in someones life and I get to see or hear about it. That's a very fulfilling and encouraging work environment! LOVE IT!

Anyway, here's what I saw God do yesterday...
  • Once again, as I looked out and worshipped with you, there were about 12-15 new faces that I had never seen! AWESOME! I think many of them are new to the church because you've been invited to one of our new connection groups with I Saw The Lord.
  • We introduced two new songs, and you picked up on them both with worshipful hearts. I love it when FBC pours its heart out in musical worship. It's not just the sound of your voices that stirs me. It's the outward expressions that you share.
  • Pastor Bill gave us ALL a great reminder - God is not hiding from you, open your eyes!
  • I really need to hear that once in a while in my own life. I can see what God does in other people's lives, but sometimes don't pay attention to what He is doing in my own life. (Call it "occupational hazard".)
I thought Pastor Bill asked a great question that I want to restate for you here - would you follow a God you can't figure out? If God is so confusing, then we don't need to be following Him. When we dig into God's Word, as we are in the "I Saw The Lord" study, we can't HELP but find a God who is clear in His expectations, clear in His plan/will for our lives, and clear in how much He loves us and wants to provide for us. Open your eyes! We have a Savior who FULLY understands all that we will ever have to experience in our lives, and MORE! Jesus - the fullest revelation of God's glory - has given us the model for how to live. And it ain't all that hard to figure out or follow!

The hard part is our hearts. We don't want to change OUR ways for HIS ways because our ways are comfortable, familiar and 'safe'. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be safe if it goes against what God wants. Safe is keeping God at a distance.

Here's what a 'safe' life with God looks like:
  • Occasional prayer, mostly when you remember to pray.
  • Some giving (financially) when it's convenient for you and your budget. In case you're not sure, that is NOT tithing. The Greek word for that is selfish. (Hey, it's all His anyway.)
  • Some ministry service when it fits the schedule.
  • Little to no sacrifice for someone outside your immediate family.
  • Avoiding tough conversation with others, hoping it will just 'pass over' so that we don't hurt anyone, is not what the Bible refers to as Passover.
God was revealed to Moses in incredible, extraordinary ways. And what was his response? Show me MORE of you, God! He didn't keep God at a safe distance. He was willing to risk to have more of God in his life by being obedient and by stepping out in faith when God told him to do so.

You're in the same boat today. God is NOT hiding from you - open your eyes! Look for where you see God is working in your life and go join Him there. Be like Moses and ask God to show you more of His glory in your life. Once you get that taste, trust me - you'll want more!

Seeking more of His glory with ya!

No comments: