Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What It Is...

acw13 asks a great question: how do you define a break?
We all have differing opinions on what this will be, but let me try to (as briefly as I can) define what I'm talking about here.

There will be times in your service that you will have to step back from serving because of scheduling conflicts, family obligations, and the like. These are, mostly, unavoidable situations which require a re-thinking of how to continue to serve God. I get that.

There will be times in your service that you 'hit a wall' and just don't feel like you can keep on serving for this reason or that. People like to call that burn out. Hate that term, mostly because it's a choice we make. There are many thing's that can be done to avoid burn out in ministry/service such as clear communication, clear commitment guidelines, not over-scheduling other areas, etc. We have to chose to make what we are doing a priority and not let burn out win.

I'm not talking about any of these, or the ones that I haven't mentioned. These two are the most common ones I hear and deal with.
What I'm referring to is the idea of not serving in the body, the local church, all together, mostly because we don't agree on something. We will NEVER all agree about stuff. That's insane to think we will.
But the body of Christ is a living, breathing organism made up of imperfect people. When we don't agree on stuff we need to be working to move toward unity "...so that body of Christ may be built up." (Eph. 4:12)

That requires work on both ends - the end that got 'hurt' and the end that did the 'hurting'. We won't always get it taken care of in one or two conversations. It may take several conversations to find 'common' ground. Working toward unity is the goal we all need to be striving for. The biblical word is reconciliation - the idea that we restore what was broken or damaged.
As leaders, we have to do our part to make sure we hear what's being said. As those who were hurt, we have to make sure we communicate clearly - with specifics - what the issue is. And then the tables get reversed and we move the process forward.
You don't do this by distancing yourself from the issue/situation. Running away doesn't help solve the problem, doesn't help anyone learn anything and just keeps the stuff hanging out there longer than it needs to.

If - when - we get hurt in church life, we have to chose to make it a priority to walk and talk through reconciliation. It may not be easy. In fact it may be downright painful. BUT, as a follower of Christ we are obligated to love one another through it all. (Read Ephesians 4 to get a picture of this idea.) And our witness to the rest of the world will tell them one of two things:
1. You, as a Christ follower, are a different person because of Him.
2. You, claiming to be a Christ follower, are no different from me, regardless of Him.
Ouch, I know. But how we respond to stuff really says a lot about who we claim to be.

I want to learn how to do what I do better, not just from a music or administration standpoint. That would also be way cool...but how I can grow as a leader for God's people, THAT'S where I want to grow. And when I screw up, the only way I learn is if people will tell me and help me.
So don't go take a break without taking a minute (or more!) to speak the truth in love to me SO THAT the body of Christ in Pocatello may be built up!

See ya in church...

No comments: