Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Days When I Want To Quit...

Let's be honest - we all have days in our work where we just feel like, "Today is my last day. I'm done. I don't want to do this anymore. It's pointless, thankless, tedious, sometimes menial work and I'm just done with it."

Even in the ministry - especially in the ministry - these days pop up. They are not fun days. They are usually spurred by some comment, event or people that just pushed the right buttons. Those are the days that suck big time! And I have them just like the rest of the world.

What's different about working in a church is that you get to hear the other good news that most folks who work outside the church don't hear until much later. Like today...
My buddy and co-worker Vern (and wife Carol) called today to bring me up to date on Carol's brother, Chuck. Last week, to the day, Vern received a call that said Chuck was in bad shape and the doctors only gave him 5-10 days to live. They hurried down last Thursday to be with him and to talk with him about his future. On Friday he prayed to receive Christ and gave his life to Him. WAY COOL! But wait...
I got another call from Vern this afternoon to tell me that Chuck was being sent home - he is getting stronger and the dialysis is working. That, folks, is what you would call a miracle! WOW!

I don't do what I do because I love music. That is just a bonus that God has given me. I do what I do because people matter to God, so they matter to me. Yes, some require more grace than others. But Jesus' command was very clear when He said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind...Love your neighbor as yourself." (Matt 22:37-39)

On the days when I want to quit, I stop to remember the many people that God is using to make a difference in this valley for the Kingdom of God. I remember the people that God has chosen to bless in many different ways. I remember the people that we get to help here with the Food Pantry, Stephens and Samaritans Ministry, and the other service ministries that help meet real needs.

God has each of us where we are for a purpose. If we quit, we will miss out on all the other blessings that He already has in place for us.
Don't hang it up just yet...keep your eyes open to all that God is doing around you and be prepared for some WOW! moments! Meet God in those moments and thank Him for giving you the opportunity to see and hear it.

Sure changes the focus of the day!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

That is wonderfully exciting!