Sunday, December 7, 2008

Father and son - JOY!

As of now, I have no voice! I just got to see my Steelers take out the Cowboys in an incredible and cold game. By the time the 4th quarter started, they said it was 17 degrees with a wind chill of 7 degrees. Sweltering!
I had the joy of being at Heinz Field on this cold December day with my son, Austin. This was his first ever trip to Pittsburgh, and obviously to Heinz. What a joy it was to see him get excited, overwhelmed, over joyed, amazed, anxious - all at the same time! It was intense, in a GREAT way!
We ate good, had fun with the crowd, and froze our toes off.

In a sense, I got to get an idea of what it must be like for God to look at us and see us enjoy life, especially those things that are important to us. My life verse is Ephesians 2:10. It says, "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepares in advance for us to do." God has called each of us to do something great for Him. In that same breath, I believe that He grants us opportunities to experience those things that bring us joy - just so He can see us enjoy life.

It got me thinking - how much do we enjoy God Himself? How much do we look forward to meeting Him day after day, looking to enjoy His company?
How often do we look forward to spending time with Him?

I have had this day marked on my calendar for months, looking forward to spending it with my son. It was nothing less than fulfilling in every way. Even if we had lost, it was still all I'd hoped it would be. Dad got to spend some quality time with his son - and it brought me great joy.

I'm looking forward to next Sunday to spend time with the Father and His family. I hope you'll look forward to the joy as well!

See ya in church...

1 comment:

Bill McCready said...

Nicely done! If we came to worship like we come to a football game, anticipating excitement, looking for a reason to cheer, wanting to drink it all in, God would be doing more and more in our lives.

Stinks that your great illustration of worship had to be at the expense of my Cowboys...