Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Night of Prayer - Moving Day!

I know, it's late. I just have to share something from our first of many nights of prayer. Pastor Bill started us off by sharing that he felt God saying it's time to move the line. Time to step up and step out and start really living, both as a church and as individuals, the way that God really intended us to live. If we move the line closer to God, we trust God more and see more of what He is doing. I love that! I love a challenge, especially if it moves me closer to God!

As I sat there in my puddle, God reminded me of something about that dreaded 'moving day'. When I was a kid, we moved a lot. Dad was a project manager for an international firm and we moved about every 2-3 year, so I got real familiar with moving day. And every time we moved - without exception - something got left behind. We either sold it, gave it away or it just flat out got forgot! There just wasn't room for it on the truck. Something got left behind somehow.

When God asks us to move closer to Him, we need to leave some stuff behind - on purpose. We need to off-load some junk that we've been hanging on to for far too long and leave it at the curb. I sat there tonight and really had to struggle with what I was willing to leave behind to follow Christ to this next level. Am I willing to leave anything? Everything? What is it that I need to, specifically, let go of in order to go that next place with Jesus? I have an idea of some things that will get left. I have a real clear idea of what needs to go into the trash, so that I can have more room for the journey.

How about you? Are you willing to leave the things you think you need, the comforts of your old self and old habits behind in order to risk something new for the King? I sure hope so! If you want to be a part of what God is doing at First Baptist, Pocatello, stop right now and ask God to show you what you need to leave behind. Trust me, it will be worth it!

I'll see you in church and at our next night of prayer on the 27th of August.

No comments: