Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Holy Moment

I didn't start out, or finish, feeling really good due to a massive headache. It was one of those headaches where light hurts, sounds hurt - everything just makes your head hurt. So what do I do? I put myself right in front of my daughter as she pounds out the beat on the drums. Brilliant!

And if I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

We're going through this prayer series and God is working on a TON of people, including me. He is showing many of us where we need to continue to move closer to Him and further from the things of this world. Pastor Bill today reminded us that God is our source of help and provision and that's where our lives need to be focused on. When you were a kid and you got hurt, who made your pain go away, who made you feel better? For most of us it was our mom or dad, or both. We found comfort in the hands of someone who loved us and wanted to make us feel better. That's just what God wants to do with us, as Teresa reminded us in singing "In Better Hands Now" by Natalie Grant. And it seemed that God got through all the mess that we all brought into Worship today and He got through to us.

Our song set this morning included a couple of slower song that just seem to help people connect with God in ways that other songs don't. There was a moment when we just let go and worshiped God with all that we had to offer. We encountered a loving God who wanted to take a moment to remind us how much He really does love us. I hope we didn't miss it. In those moments when we are at our end, I think God uses those to continue that good work He began in us not so long ago. Those are the holy moments.

My hope is that we - rather I, don't miss out on what God has for me, and for us. I know that when I don't feel 100%, I don't always want to give my best, even if it is for God. (Just being real.) But when I push through with His strength and His power, it's a Philippians moment! "I CAN do ALL things through Him who gives me STRENGTH!"

God, here's my prayer for the rest of this year, let alone the rest of this series: please continue to pour out your Spirit in us, and allow us to encounter those holy moments with You, both in Your sanctuary and in our daily lives.

Jesus - how I love you!

No comments: