Sunday, January 24, 2010

We've Made it Too Hard!!!!

I've had some great time with my family these past few weeks, even in the passing of my dad. We, my brothers and I, have had some good quality time and some good fun time with family and friends back in West Virginia.

We've also had some good, frank conversations about church and the impact it should be having on people.

My youngest brother made an interesting comment about church and Christianity. He lives in China and gets to see a different perspective - one that I will say was a very refreshing one. "We've made Christianity too complex here. It really is a simple, basic decision and commitment. But the church has made it way too hard."

I can't get that out of my head. "We've made it way too hard." We 'fight' over things that have NO Kingdom impact; we argue over who 'gets' to lead what; we complain when the church teaches about basic Biblical truths such as serving and tithing - the list could go on and on.

What happened to us? Where did we get so far off track that we are more concerned about what WE want and what WE think we need more than we care about the lost, the lonely, the poor, the orphaned and the widowed?

I want to be part of a church that teaches people how to be committed, serving followers of Christ everyday. I want to be part of a church that isn't afraid to teach from God's Word - no matter who it offends. I would much rather offend man than I would God. But somehow 'the church' in America is consumed with pleasing people over pleasing God. To that I have to ask - who does the church really worship?

My hope for this year is that we'll stop making it about US and start living like it really is about Him! Let's not get caught up in stupid arguments over things that don't have a Kingdom impact. Let's get on board with those things we KNOW that GOD has called us to do and get after them. The sooner we do the more people will be in heaven with us.

See ya in church...

1 comment:

Donna Marie said...

Dear Karl and Family,
I am so sorry to hear about your dad. He and your mom meant the world to me during my time in Pocatello. Please send my heart felt prayers to Deano and Kevin.

In his love,
Donna Marie Matovich