Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Worship Wars Rage On!

I hope that, at some point in my lifetime, I'll get to see the end of what has become known as the "Worship Wars". This is that battle that has raged on and on and on and on and on...you get the point. Churches fighting over, you guessed it - music.
"It has to be traditional, with an organ...It has to be contemporary, with drums...It has to be ancient...It has to be blended...It has to be (something)" It drives me absolutely NUTS!

Truth be told, it really breaks my heart. Too many churches have split, and will continue to split, over something that should be an awesome, incredible event in our lives. At the root of it all - every time without exception - is selfishness. Every conversation is laden with "I want" comments.
Very seldom does anyone stop to consider what it is that God, the audience to whom our worship is supposed to be for, would want or expect out of our worship.

And the whole time we fight, Satan is having a field day watching the church act just like the world. He wins - God loses. How is that even right? We are supposed to be the change agent for the world, not the other way around. Yes, I am saying that way too many times the world has the influence on the church in a very negative way.
And I'd even say that many of you who are fighting in this battle have allowed the idea of what worship should be for you to become the idol of your worship. You've lost sight of what it's all about and whom! You have a worship style idol! Burn it...cut it up...get rid of it now or it will consume you and it will cost you greatly.

In about a month, I'll be doing a workshop to help churches with their worship transitions, going from one style to a different one and do so effectively for the body as well as their community. You have an opinion on this that I would love to hear. So what do you think our worship should be? What do you think would honor God?

Shoot me a comment here or at my email karl@fbcpoky.com...

No comments: