Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Man I Hope To Be...

I often talk about my dad in various places and situations. I came across this article that ran after his funeral and thought it would give you all some insight as to the kind of man I pray I will be like. He was the greatest and most godly man that I have ever known - period. This was written by one of the reporters who went to several funerals in the course of a week...
" ...next is Dean Pettit. I have known him all my life as he was a relative. I did not attend the funerals of Jan or Darlene but did attend Dean's. I have attended more funerals than I like, but none quite like Dean's. A true celebration of his life. Several speakers sharing touching and humorous stories involving him. What impressed me was the fact that his children were able to with composure speak of their dad and his teachings. When I stated that to one of the boys, his response was "that is how dad taught us." I came away from his service wishing I had known him much better and also wanting to know his God much better and to become closer to him. And after listening to each speaker, that was what Dean was all about, what he wanted each to take away from being around him and knowing him.  Dean will be greatly missed by his family and all who knew him, all those that worked beside him as he served the various organizations as a volunteer. Our church as well as the Blue and Gold center will miss him greatly."
Every time I read this article I am in tears. Not just because I miss him, 'cause I do, but also because of the honor it brings me to be called his son. When I think of Christian character and what it looks like in life, I don't have to look far. Dad was that model. Was he perfect? No. But he knew where he was deficient and allowed God to mold in him the character of Christ as was needed. Everything about dad emulated a man of Christian character, purpose and devotion. It showed in his love for mom, for us and for those he knew and loved. I don't ever recall dad having any 'enemies' in life. He didn't like some people sometimes...but he knew how to forgive and love them to the next point in their relationship.

Man...have I got a long way to go. But that's what I'm striving for. To be known as a man of God in all situations, all arenas of my life - starting at home. I pray that my influence begins with Sue, then Kia and Austin and Missy, next flows to Daniel and our next grandchildren (not in any hurry) and then into the lives of those I have the privilege of serving in ministry in various places.

The man I hope to be is seen in the character of my Risen Savior, modeled for us boys in Dean Pettit, Sr. Help me, Father God, to be like the man you created in him...




No comments: