Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dad Is With Jesus!

Saturday may have been the worst day of my life to date. Around 10:30 in the morning I got the call from my mom that dad had been outside, on the farm, shoveling snow. She heard him come in, turned around and watched him hit his head on a table just inside the door. She went to roll him over and help him, but it appeared that he had already gone. She worked on him until the paramedics arrived and they continued for close to another hour. He was gone.

I was utterly lost. My dad - the best dad that God ever created - was gone. My mom is alone after more than 50 years of marriage. (We just celebrated their 50th in West Virgina in August of last year.)

Later, she asked the right question - now what?

I told her that she needed to do nothing now except grieve the loss and celebrate the life. Don't try to plan anything just yet. For now, simply grieve.

Dad reminded us all the time that tomorrow isn't promised to us. Scripture is very clear about it. We are to live for today. That's how dad lived. One day at a time. And every day he lived it for God, family, the church, and then others.

As we head back to the farm (my wife and I are on our way Monday)I'm recounting as much of my dad's life as I can recall. It's not easy. There is a TON of stuff.

But what I keep coming back to is something that Aaron said this morning as he shared the news with the church family - legacy. Dad left an incredible legacy, not only in us boys and his grandchildren, but in the churches he served in, the company he worked for and the communities in which he and mom lived. I've never met anyone else in my life that has had this kind of life-changing impact than dad.

So let me challenge you today - look at the legacy you're leaving. Does it point people to God or someone else? Will your legacy continue on well after you've gone? Or will someone pick up the mantle and carry it to the next generation? I can't get this line out of my head for a song lyric - "What will they say about me when I'm gone?"

We will continue to be the men that dad raised us to be. We will love our families as he did his and look after the church to which God has called us to be a part of. That's what dad would want, because that's what God desires from each of us.

Dad can stand before our Father and hear, with loud and confident voice, "Well done, good and faithful servant!"

I Love you, Dad!

No comments: