Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Give Your Gift!

God gives us gifts to be used for His glory, to draw attention NOT to us as artists', but for us to point others to Him. When we use our gifts to honor Him it is a beautiful thing - a beautiful offering. What we feel on the inside is often times indescribable. When I'm in that place there is a genuine sense of knowing that I am doing and being who God created me to be! Humbling.

Where can artists' share their gift if they don't have a regular place to share it? How about giving it away as a gift to others this Christmas?

We get so caught up in trying to find the right gift for someone and get sucked into the materialistic side of the universe. "Has to be this...has to be that...I have to spend this much or it won't be..."

Create something from your heart to give to someone and include a verse that spoke to your heart as you were working on it. If you sculpt, create a piece and use Ephesians 2:10 which speaks about being His workmanship (masterpiece). If you write, create a piece that reflects the heart of what you were saying in your piece. If you write/craft music, pick a Psalm that references the idea of singing a new song to the Lord.

Whatever you do, find a way to share your gift with others AND share with them that you understand where and who your gift comes from. Let's not, as artists', get caught up in the worldly view of artistry and allow our ego to be fed lies about how great we can become through our gifts. Instead, going against the world, let's give our gift away!

Have a blessed and merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently rediscovered how much I like to sketch, paint, create and since I am on very limited finances this year...I am creating from colored pencils and paper I already have. It's made me thankful for the artistic gift I have been given and hopefully I will touch a cord with those who recieve the gifts. At any rate I am enjoying the process.