Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Creativity

Lately this is not something I've had at my disposal. Not like I have had in the past. 
It seems that I am in a season of clarifying, seeking, and waiting - for what I'm not really sure.

But I'm reminded that we - all of us - need to take some time in our daily routines to be still, to know that He is God and He is in control. And to remember that His plan, His will for our lives is SO MUCH BETTER than anything we could ever dream up.

The 'other' Psalm passage that mentions this is Psalm 37:7, "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes."

From the beginning I have issue with this verse - wait patiently? UGH! Anyone who knows me understands that I like to see things happen, to see things get done, most of the time NOW. But rushing can be one of the worst things for creativity. Especially when writing songs, messages, scripts, etc.

If we're truly working to serve God; if we're truly living to serve God with our gifts, talents and abilities - then we'll learn the art of being still AND patient before Him. Out of those moments where we simply wait, that's when the creative juices really get flowing. When we try to rush it, when we try to make something out of nothing, that's when crap flows out of the pen onto the paper. Just because God created the earth in 6 days and then rested doesn't mean I get to create a piece in the same amount of time. We shouldn't expect that of any of the artists we work with (painting, sculpture, drama, reading, music, dance, etc.)
 

I'm hoping that this will remind us all to take some time to be still and wait on Him. Even if that means getting away out of town to get that time, then we need to do it. The end result will be a closer walk with the Creator who gives us the creativity we need to communicate His truth.

Searching for that special thing with you...

No comments: